Monday, March 14, 2011

SXSW Movie Posters Commissioned by Mondo

As promised (although a few days late), my reviews of the remaining SXSW Mondo posters...

Hobo with a Shotgun - Jeff Proctor

I may have already mentioned this, but damn, Jeff Proctor has to be one of my favorite new artists. I love his photo realistic approach and the man just has a knack for gore. Need proof? Check out all of his zombie-related art, it's beautiful stuff. Need more proof? Look at his freaking Hobo with a Shotgun poster! I showed this picture to my girlfriend in a fit of nerd pride and she said she immediately felt like vomiting - a job well done in my book. I'm really hoping this makes it on to Mondo's site next week (3/20 - 3/26), so I can purchase one with extreme prejudice. Make sure you're following @MondoNews to keep up with the release details. To see more of Jeff's work head over to his website MakeNonsense. If you missed the coming Mondo sale, I'm guessing a few of the posters will be available in two or three months down the road through his store as well.

Paul - Tom Whalen

I really want to like Paul the movie, I really do. I mean, you've got Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Seth Rogen. Can't go wrong, right? I just have a sneaking suspicion that this movie is going to be a let down. Paranoia aside, Tom Whalen has created a lovely poster for the film. While this definitely isn't my favorite of the SXSW Mondo posters, I do really like his depiction of Paul the alien in the center of the frame high above the roving RV. So much so, in fact, that I almost feel the image would be stronger without Simon and Nick in it at all. I'd love to see Whalen tackle an E.T. poster. How great would that be? The Tom Whalen Paul poster will go on sale sometime next week through Mondo. To see more of Whalen's incredible art head over to his blog at StrongStuff.net.

The FP - Regular Edition - Tyler Stout

The FP - Variant Edition - Tyler Stout

Who could have created these posters? It's not like they've been completed in a particular artist's trademark style or anything…oh wait. Yes, these absolutely beautiful FP posters highlight exactly why Tyler Stout is so sought after in the poster world. The level of detail and dedication to recreating these characters is astounding. When I first laid eyes upon this poster I had to ask myself, what the hell is The FP? Thankfully my friends at MUBI were more than happy to answer that question in the form of a synopsis (taken from the SXSW events schedule).
"Accompanied by his brother JTRO, Beat-Beat Revelation champion BTRO must compete for the pride of their hometown, Frazier Park (The FP). His opponent: ruthless fighter and trash talker, L Dubba E. L Dub not only defeats BTRO, he sends him to an early grave. L Dub's instant climb to power has forced The FP to fall into disarray. Crazed with anger, JTRO vows revenge. After a crash course in the ancient techniques of Beat-Beat from master BLT, JTRO challenges L Dubba E. Their battle to the finish, born of lust, power and revenge, will leave only one man standing."
I am SO completely in. Hearing the plot of this film somehow makes this poster even more incredible. My favorite touch might have to be the Dance Dance Revolution style arrows surrounding the title. I want this poster, I want this movie, I want both of these things immediately. And as usual, I tend to gravitate toward the regular versions of Tyler's posters because they're so colorful and fun. I'm not going to lie, I go crazy when someone like Tyler Stout does posters for a huge franchise like Star Wars, but I get even more excited when he does something for a small independent film like The FP or Best Worst Movie. This and Proctor's Hobo with a Shotgun poster might just be my favorite two of the festival. If you'd like to learn more about Tyler Stout checkout his website, and be sure to follow Mondo's Twitter to stay in the know about the Stout FP movie poster drop, which by the way is happening sometime next week.

Hesher - Alan Hynes

This is probably my least favorite of the bunch, but it's still better than 99.9% of the posters put out by movie studios (ironically, the film's official poster is pretty amazing). From what little I know about the film, anarchist-cum-pyromaniac Hesher (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) inserts himself into a family's life for better or for worse. Sounds pretty awesome in my opinion. Alan Hynes, whom I've previously written about, has created something foreboding here, and is definitely playing with Hesher's fiery personality and approach to life. With that said, I definitely feel like I'm not getting the whole picture with just this jpeg to go on. To learn more about Alan Hynes, be sure to head over to his GigPosters.com profile (the man has 114 posters to his credit over there, talk about being prolific). Like the rest of the SXSW posters that Mondo commissioned, the Hesher movie poster by Alan Hynes will be released sometime next week at a random time through Mondo's website. Be sure to follow @MondoNews to get an exact drop time. Check it out!

Now if you don't mind, I need to get back to Dragon Age 2. It's kind of incredible...

2 comments:

  1. I saw Paul at an advanced screening at my school, no worries, it's great. Not as good as SOTD or Hot Fuzz, but does for Spielberg movies what the others did for zombies and action, respectively

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a relief to hear. I guess I'm still waiting for the return of the holy triumvirate (Frost, Pegg, and Wright), and seeing Frost and Pegg without Wright hurts my heart a little.

    ReplyDelete

No Trolling, Please.