Thursday, May 31, 2012

New Flesh's "Special Order 937" Art Prints

Are you as excited about Prometheus as I am? While I've read several reviews suggesting it may not in fact be the greatest film ever made, I'm still holding out hope. Ultimately, whether I love the movie or not, I can at least thank Ridley Scott's latest for prompting me to revisit the original 1979 Alien. It's been a while since I've seen the film, and the upcoming Prometheus was just the kick in the pants I needed. Which leads me to tonight's posters. I present, for your viewing pleasure, N.E.'s jaw-dropping "Special Order 937."

"Special Order 937" Art Print (Regular)
N.E. (New Flesh Prints)
18" x 24" (Screen Print) - Signed and Numbered
$25 - Limited to 75
Inspired By: Alien

I'm starting to sound like a broken record at this point, but this is truly the best work I've ever seen from N.E. and New Flesh Prints. I am completely convinced this could just as easily have been something offered by Mondo - it's that good. N.E.'s skill and style continue to evolve, and the man is showing no signs of slowing down. Besides completely nailing the design of the astronauts' suits in Alien, the artist has filled just about every nook and cranny on the page with a variety of textures. Whether it be dust, steam or smoke, these prints very cleverly manage to make even the vastness of space look genuinely suffocating and not terribly inviting - something the film also does magnificently. And much like yesterday's Warriors poster by Brandon Schaefer, "Special Order 937" doesn't go the obvious route and simply recreate the menacing Xenomorph in vivid, disgusting detail. Nope. Instead we're presented with a beautiful, but grimy landscape that's as much Alien as, well, the aliens. I have a sneaking suspicion these posters will be showing up in my annual "Best of Year" post.

"Special Order 937" Art Print (Variant)
N.E. (New Flesh Prints)
18" x 24" (Screen Print) - Signed and Numbered
Sold Out - Limited to 15
Inspired By: Alien

N.E. on his motivations and concept:
"The concept behind 'Special Order 937' was to capture the sense of the unknown in space. I find the sheer volume of emptiness in space to be overwhelming. Now apply that to a planet's surface that is very chaotic and atmospheric with only the safety given to you by your space suit. I wanted to express this with mostly negative space. The texture gives a sense of depth and movement while the clean lines of the space suits give the impression of isolation in the midst of chaos."
N.E.'s "Special Order 937" art print will be available on Friday (6/1) at 10 AM CST. The variant is already sold out, but there will be a regular version available for $25, which is a total steal! The poster measures 18" x 24" and is limited to an edition of 75. To keep up on all things New Flesh Prints, be sure to follow @newfleshprints and @NEnewflesh on Twitter, sign up for the newsletter, and visit newfleshprints.com obsessively. Good luck folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.