Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Drew Struzan's "The Thing" Art Print

Hear that heavenly sound? That choir of angelic voices? If I had to guess, I would imagine it's pretty similar to the sound Indiana Jones first heard when discovering the Holy Grail. Or when Jonas Salk developed the polio vaccine. Or how about when the "Star Wars Kid" realized his fifteen minutes of fame were almost up. I bet he was pretty stoked. That's sort of how I feel about today's poster. Hyperbole aside, Struzan's The Thing print, which holds a hallowed spot in film history, is sure to sit high atop most poster enthusiasts' "must own" list for a long, long while. It's hard not to get excited for its release, but a darker, more realistic side of me knows that actually getting my hands on one for a reasonable price will be nigh impossible - I can already taste the heartbreak. Then again, maybe if I just remind myself that it's only a piece of paper and some ink I can rise above my prescient depression and realize that I don't need material things to be happy. Maybe I can be a better pers- Nope. I need that poster, I want that poster, I must own and frame that poster.

The Thing Art Print
Drew Struzan
26" x 38" (Screen Print) - Signed and Numbered
$250 - Limited to 435

I'm not sure I have anything new to contribute to the conversation about Struzan's iconic The Thing poster, but that's never stopped me before. The one sheet for The Thing remains one of the most awesomely beautiful bits of promotional artwork ever created. It's otherworldly in that it suggests something literally extraterrestrial, but also uses the film's setting and transforms what many already consider alien - the frigid and inhospitable Antarctic - into a mind-blowing kaleidoscopic winter wonderland / wasteland. If you haven't discovered the great interview with Drew Struzan at movies.com, I highly recommend you head over there now. I was surprised to learn while reading it, that not only did the man only have a single day to create the original 1982 art from start to finish, he also had no reference shots from the film to work from. This poster is the perfect snapshot of Struzan's creativity and clearly holds a place in film lovers' hearts the world over, even to this day. I only wish Mondo had printed about a thousand more of these.

Drew Struzan's The Thing print will be available tomorrow (6/28) through Mondo at a random time. The poster measures 26" x 38", is limited to an edition of 435, and will cost $250. For up to the minute drop info be sure to follow @MondoNews, although you're probably better off F5ing all day. And as an FYI, Mondo has hinted that this poster release will be happening a little later than usual. Do with that tidbit what you will. To learn more about Struzan, visit drewstruzan.com, where you can spend lots and lots of money on his work, and be sure to pick up his newest book Drew Struzan: Oeuvre. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant image - here's my artistic take on The Thing - http://misterphil.co.uk/thing.html be interested to hear what you think…

    ReplyDelete

No Trolling, Please.